McGregor’s Boxing License

Even when Conor McGregor isn’t fighting he’s winning. And after his latest dominant UFC appearance, Conor wants more — and he just got it: a license to professionally box in the State of California.

McGregor’s team isn’t commenting — nothing from him or his agent Audie Attar. But I’ll tell you who is — Floyd Mayweather’s team:  — with Leonard Ellerbe, the CEO of Mayweather Promotions, going all in on Conor for making the move:

“It’s all a game. It’s all a calculated effort to gain more fans. He got a boxing license. Congratulations to him.” he told Dan Rafael of ESPN… “”The brass who recently purchased the UFC are very smart people, and they would never — and put this in bold caps — let him step into a boxing ring with Floyd Mayweather because everyone knows what the outcome would be. He would get his ass beat from pillar to post.”

I get it, that license, you can get one for 60 bucks, a medical exam and a 4-page document. And even if it’s just another stunt, it’s yet another sign that the King gets it.

And I see him working: oh, you’re going to rip my featherweight belt? The one I earned? No problem, I’ll go get a boxing license. I asked you for a meeting after your huge sale to WME/IMG, and that hasn’t happened, so maybe I’ll meet with some other folks that do want to talk to me. Is it legitimate leverage for him. Doubtful. Is it gamesmanship: absolutely.

Is it Conor doing what he does best, promoting himself and his brand and getting the rest of us to look at him and talk about him? Hell yes. And it’s smart. This guy is a shrewd businessman. And he’s doing business. And to rip one from Antonio Brown, business is booming. This dude is on sabbatical and he still has us talking about him.

And hell, boxing has been lapped by MMA and the UFC. I’m sure the powers that be in boxing, would love to be in business with Conor, even if the odds of that happening really are infinitesimal.

This fight won’t happen. Even with a brinks truck. Hell, it took Floyd and Manny like a decade to agree to rules before they fought and they play the same sport. How are you gonna get these two guys, from totally different sports to agree to the same set of rules…answer: you won’t. You can’t.

Which is too bad. Because while there are still some good matchups in boxing, there isn’t one I’d rather see more than a 39-year old, past his prime, retired boxer going up against a dude who has never boxed a day in his life. 99% percent chance that never happens, but I’m cool talking up the 1% that it does.

And I’m 100 percent certain, that McGregor just did it to get us to talk about him and to mess with the UFC.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From The Jim Rome Show

Jimmie Johnson
Boomer Esiason
John Calipari

Listen Live